Friday, October 21, 2011

Little Yellow Bicycle - Cycling Team Post!

Happy Friday to you!  Are there any sweeter words?!!!   

Do you recall my post a bit ago about making the first Cycling Team over at Little Yellow Bicycle?  Well, I'm over the moon excited to share with you the project that I created for it today! 

I received the stunning "Head of the Class" collection to design with.  I absolutely love this collection! The bright fun colors of the papers and classic design made this such a joy to work with!!!  Without further delay, allow me to introduce you to "Spare Me!":
The moment I saw the fun diamond shaped pattern paper with the number "10" in the headpin position, I knew I was going to turn this collection into a bowling page! I always enjoy looking beyond the intent of a collection and try to use it in a different or unusual way.  
For my project I had a series of three photos, but I didn't really want to crop them too much to compromise their composition. The solution: Create a built in flip book built on the page. It was very simple, I just stitched the left side down. (Ok, I'll be honest, I had to help my sewing machine a bit as it went through all of those layers, but it was worth it!)  The bottom photo was attached leaving a pocket to tuck in my Good Job journaling spot.

I hand stitched a few circles on the background paper to mimic the feel of the bowling ball action.  Here's an angle so you can see the dimension and texture a little better:
Keeping my banner theme for the page, I added a few horizontal banners into the main photo mat. I created a few custom star buttons using the papers and my Epiphany Crafts Shape Studio Star 25 tool.  For my bowling ball and pin, I used my Cricut Expression 2 and the Nifty Fifties cartridge. A little glossy accents on the bowling ball was the finishing touch.
I really love all of the fun embellishments in this collection!  They look so fabulous layered as a collage!!!  The star stick pin also worked just perfectly tucked into the stitching of my flip book.  I combined some of the clear cuts shapes and journaling spots behind my pin for that extra "pow".   

Thanks so much for coming along with me for a little cycling tour of my Spare Me! page today!  A very special thank you going out to Little Yellow Bicycle for the privilege and honor of designing for you. 

Be sure to stop on over to their blog for more inspiration from my talented teammates on the Cycling Team! 

Have a super scrappity day!
~ Rhonda

p.s.  I've got another fun project planned for this collection.  Stay tuned!!!

2 comments:

Leah's Crafty Life said...

yayyyyy congrats to you gf!!!!
Totally love all the goodies on this cool layout!!

Maria Matter said...

this is such a bright & happy LO Rhonda, absolutely love it!!
blessings