Saturday, July 9, 2011

July Club Q Re-Do and Chomas Creations!

Happy Saturday greetings to you!

I'm excited and a wee bit nervous to share my first ever mixed media canvas with you today!  The July Club Q kits are just beautiful and the moment I received them, I had a project in mind for the canvas and the papers.  Here are the page kits and project suggestions for July:

Here is a picture of the Canvas Kit for July and the gorgeous featured project:


Here is what I did with the canvas and some paper from the July Club Q page kits along with Chomas Creations glitter pens:
This project was so much fun, I really used a lot of my Powder Puff Chalk Inks in a variety of ways.  You'll also notice the adorable butterfly on the upper right that I used my Chomas Creations glitter pen to create.  The other mediums that were used for this project are Gesso, Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel and some foam paint brushs and regular detail paint brushes.

Some details for you to get an idea of the texture and dimension.  I used foam dots on the fussy cut birdcage and bird as well as my Chomas butterfly on top.  I used my Gesso to adhere the gorgeous square doily.  Isn't that so pretty?!!!  I just love the doily's in the kits!

Do you want to see a few play by play images?  Here is my initial base coat of the canvas.  I used my ink pads in various parts of the canvas to provide my base color palette.  I then used four small cups with water and dedicated brushes for each of the four colors.  Using very small amounts of the water, I color washed the areas into each other to blend.  I allowed it to dry and then added a coat of Gesso in clear with wide swirling swaths of my fattest paint brush. 

The Gesso really toned down my colors so I did some more work (i.e. second coat!) on the base until I was happy and then used a very very light coat of more Gesso and let dry, again.  The next step was to use my wall spackle and the laser cut relief shapes of the butterflies from the kit.  I cut those apart.  I also had a flourish mask in my stash from Heidi Swapp that was perfect for this.

Here's what it looked like before it dried and my Chalk Inks, brushes and glitter found it.
I apologize for the work in progress photos, I was in the middle of this and my camera battery died, so I ended up using my phone.  Hopefully it helps to give you an idea.

Once dry, I used my silicone mat and pressed down all four ink colors in their own places and used a bit of water to provide my painting palette for the flourish and butterflies.  You don't want a lot of water because it might break the spackle compound down too much.  Once I had that completed, I created my Chomas butterfly while it dried.
It's very simple to use the Chomas pens in your Cricut but the effect is beyond simple I think you'll agree!  I love the way my butterfly turned out!!!  I went with white cardstock so I could show you how easy it is to use your Chalk Inks to make coordinating embellies.  The super cool thing is that I still have my laser cut butterflies from my kit to use on another project too!  : )  woo hoo!

Once it dried, I used a q-tip and my Beacon's glue to run along the top of the flourish gently and then I sprinkled my glitter onto it.  (I did the sprinkling outside so I could blow away the excess glitter.  lol!!!)

Finally, here's an image of the little bird soaring with the fun little Quick Quotes "Oh Lovely" rub-on behind it.  I cut the bird out, colored her a bit and gave her two coats of UTEE.  You can also see some of the painted detail on my fussy cut birdcage on the left.
Spread your wings, bare your soul, follow your heart and fly!

Techniques Used:

- Colored my background image using Powder Puff Chalk Inks, then with lightly damp paintbrush, blended colors together.
- Added layer of clear Gesso on top of first background so my spackle would have a base to adhere to.
- Using relief of butterfly laser cuts as a mask, along with my flourish mask, I added spackle with a putty knife to achieve my dimension.
- After drying, I used a detail paint brush and painted my butterflies and flourish as desired.
- Fussy cut the bird cage, then painted it with Powder Puff Chalk Inks to coordinate.
- Used Chomas Creations blue glitter pen on white cardstock to outline my top right butterfly. I used my Cricut Expression and Cricut Sentimentals Cartridge.  It was colored with our chalk inks, blending with some water to match and then I added two layers of UTEE to it for some shine.

Non Kit Items Used:
- Powder Puff Chalk Inks: Very Berry, Limeade, Purple Passion, Blue Hawaiian
- Quick Quotes "Oh Lovely" rub-on
- Epiphany Crafts Epoxy Heart 14, and punch
- Chomas Creations Glitter Pens and Holder
- Cricut Expression
- Cricut Sentimentals Cartridge
- Lace
- Wall Spackle
- Heidi Swapp flourish mask
- Clear Gesso
- UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel)
- Embossing ink stamp pad
- Beacon's 3 in 1 Glue
- Donna Salazar Fairy Dust Glitter in Sugar Shimmer
- Ranger Stickles, Diamond and Hot Pink
- Paint brushes

Make sure you stop on over at the Quick Quotes Blog to leave a comment! We are giving away to 1 random lucky winner chosen from all of the comments a gift package of:


A Chomas Creations gel pen holder, a set of 10 gel pens and
the Quick Quotes Julie Je T'aime paper line and embellishments!

Scroll down one post for a peek at my project using those papers!!!

Thank you so much for stopping on over for a minute here with me!  Have a wonderful and creative scrappity weekend!!!

~ Rhonda

1 comment:

Jan Garber said...

Beautiful project, Rhonda! What was the total time? How long does it take the gesso to completely dry?